Bernardo Sanjurjo was born in Barres (Castropol, Asturias) on April 28, 1940.
After studying at the School of Arts and Crafts of Oviedo and attending, during the military service in Madrid, to the Drawing and Painting classes at the Círculo de Bellas Artes, he entered the School of Fine Arts of San Fernando in 1963, where he graduated in 1968.
In 1970 he was a professor at the School of Applied Arts in Madrid and in 1973 he obtained the position of Professor of Art Drawing at the School of Arts and Crafts in Oviedo, where he has resided ever since.
During that period, he received several scholarships and made numerous research trips.
From 1975 to 1990 he was the Director in that same school, promoting the renovation of his departments and workshops. In 1994 he obtained his doctorate at the Complutense University of Madrid. In the year 2000 he retired from teaching.
Among his works for buildings and public spaces, there are the murals of the hall and the exteriors of Hospital Central de Asturias (1987-1993), the Instituto de Bachillerato of Cangas de Narcea, the school of Vega de Arriba in Mieres (1988), the Campus of Humanities of Oviedo (1992) and the artistic pavement of the Plaza del Humedal of Gijón (1998-2008).
In his long curriculum there are more than seventy solo exhibitions and innumerable collective projects. He has made folders of graphic work with the poets Antonio Gamoneda, Marcos Canteli, José Miguel Ullán and Olvido García Valdés.